Friday, May 26, 2006

The Ballet Brigade

In further proof that Russia is slipping from its role as a military power they are planning to conscript male ballet dancers. Currently dancers get a deferment from mandatory military service, but in a sweeping reform of the Russian military that has been proposed this automatic exemption my go away.

I can see it now, these stealthy soldiers in ballet slippers striking fear into the hearts of the rebels in Chechnya. With a series of graceful moves they will put down this rebellion that has so long plagued Russia. Bullying is also a huge problem in the Russian military. I'm sure that those problems will cease as well once the ranks are filled with young male ballet dancers.

How I long for the days of the Tsar to return when soldiers soldiered and dancers danced.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scheherazade said...

The tsar has "returned." And he dances. Romanoffs in tights.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2005/02/16/016.html

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Scheherazade said...

I've a new poem up Erasmus. I've also acquired new critics/consorts. Kind and generous ones. But your opinion matters to me--as you've watched me progress--and I love this one the most (along with the sonnet).

Plus, only chicks have responded to this one.

So, I'd like a perspective from "just a guy on a blog"--and after your scotch.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home