Wednesday, May 17, 2006

We Were Poets Once Too

I just wanted to appraise you of the most intriguing new literary forms developed. They call it the "Sonnet." Here is one I love:

As pink as was a pig, and yet more softened
gentle than the swine's most coarse of hides.
I held the quiv'ring lump aloft
and gazed upon its beauty from all sides.
'Tis slimy like a slug--yet smooth as silk
As smooth as any fabric come to mind.
I would my mother'd fed me not her milk
but rather this of delicacies fine.
It radiates an air misunderstood--that
some perceive this foodstuff contraband
when really it embodies best in food.
Wait for economists to understand
it's got more worth than spice from far Siam.
You keep your gold and rubies--I'll choose SPAM.
--Rowan Lipkovits

From the good people at MIT: http://stuff.mit.edu/people/jync/spam/

How I wish for inspiration like this.

(syllable-Line errors mine as I had to reformat after cut and paste and am too lazy to check)

4 Comments:

Blogger Erasmus said...

Could be why I haven't written anything in years. I just haven't had the right muse like spam to inspire me.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:14:00 PM  
Blogger Scheherazade said...

Now that's what I call a "happy meal" (or is "squeal" more appropriate?)

Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:31:00 AM  
Blogger Rowan Lipkovits said...

Nice to see that someone's getting a kick out of these goofy exercises a decade after they first found their way online -- my first and, likely, most permanent internet footprint. Cheers.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:15:00 PM  
Blogger Gaius Germanicus said...

Wow, I guess that's all I have to say.

Friday, May 19, 2006 1:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home